Frequently Asked Questions

Get to know John Wall, CPA, better. Check out some Frequently Asked Questions that will help you understand how we serve our clients and what we can accomplish together.

Q: How will I find out about any changes in tax code that apply to me?

A: We send our clients periodic updates to the tax laws to keep them informed about changes that may affect them. In addition, you may e-mail or call us with a question on a specific tax law change to understand how it may apply to you and/or your business.

Q: Do you file taxes for individuals AND businesses?

A: Yes. We file taxes for individuals, businesses, and nonprofits.

Q: What’s the best way for me to reach you?

A: The most efficient way to contact me is to e-mail John directly at You may also call our office at 703-399-1381. We aim to return phone calls within 1-2 business days.

Q: Is there anything you provide to your clients to help them collect the appropriate documents for tax season?

A: Yes. At the beginning of tax season, we will mail and/or e-mail you a package that includes a “Tax Organizer”. We also have some useful worksheets that we can e-mail to you.

Q: How will you help me plan for the future?

A: Two important services that we provide are tax planning and financial planning. We also partner with licensed financial advisors. We focus on both short-term goals (those that you want to accomplish in the next 5 years) and long-term goals (those that are beyond 5 years).

Q: Can you help me prepare the right financial statements for my business?

A: Yes. While John Wall, CPA does not prepare compiled, reviewed, or audited historical and projected financial statements, we will refer to you one of our partner firms that prepares these types of financial statements.

Q: Do you specialize in specific industries?

A: We serve clients in a variety of industries, including real estate, professional services, medical, internet technology, entertainment, and nonprofit. However, our firm can work with your business, regardless of the industry that you are in.

Q: What should I do if I am audited or receive a notice?

A: Contact our office, and we will evaluate the contents of the notice or audit request and advise you accordingly. We will also give you an estimate of our fees to respond to the notice or represent you before the IRS or state taxing agency.

Q: Can you help me understand if downsizing makes sense?
A: Yes. As part of short-term planning, we can evaluate your business’s current financial condition and give you the proper recommendations.
Q: What type of work do you do in the housing and mortgage area?
A: In addition to tax preparation and planning, we can show you how to report the income and expenses of a rental property, calculate the capital gain on the sale of your real estate, understand how settlement costs affect your current and subsequent tax returns, work directly with your mortgage company if they and/or you have questions during the purchase process, and answer a variety of other questions related to mortgages and real estate.